The butterfly tattoo is pretty and feminine without being overly flowery or sentimental. Butterflies have always been an inspiration for visual arts, such as the hieroglyphics of Ancient Egypt a couple of thousand years ago.
Butterfly Tribal Tattoos Designs
Butterfly tattoos are a good choice for a first tattoo because the design doesn't need to be big to be striking. A small butterfly tattoo (life sized or smaller) on an ankle or shoulder can be a pretty and graceful accent to your natural beauty.
The most popular spots for a butterfly tattoo are:
- Back & Lower back
- Upper arm
They are often combined with other imaginary like:
- Tribal ornaments
- Swirly and curly lines
- Flowers (go here for our flower tattoo designs)
- Hearts (go here for our heart tattoo designs)
- Stars (go here for our star tattoo designs)
Butterfly designs can have a lot of meanings, depending on the person or culture. Here's an overview:
- Often a butterfly tattoo is a symbol of rebirth and transformation: the "ugly" and slow caterpillar transforms inside its cocoon to the beautiful creature that a butterfly is. Having a tattoo of a butterfly symbolizes a new life, a new beginning after having gone through some rough times.
- Delicate beauty: a butterfly is small and very delicate, but also very colorful and full of beautiful details. On the other hand, it is not so delicate like most people think: contrary to the widespread belief, you can't kill a butterfly by touching its wings.
- A butterfly tattoo can be a symbol of freedom.
- In some cultures, like the Christian, the butterfly symbolizes a person's soul. The Greek word for butterfly for example, also means soul.
- In Japan they believe that if a butterfly flies into your guestroom, the person you love the most will come to you soon.
- Also in Japan, a large swarm of butterflies is seen as a bad omen.
- The Russian word for butterfly resembles the word for grandmother.
- In China, two butterflies fluttering together are a symbol for love.
- In some cultures it means good luck when a butterfly lands on you (imagine the luck you'll be having when you have one on you permanently).
- The phrase "having butterflies in your stomach" is a way of saying you are in love (or just very very nervous).
- For the ancient Aztecs, butterflies were the souls of deceased warriors or women who died while giving birth.
- For some people a butterfly means peace.